Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Life as a Mom: Where did all the crazy go?

It is so nice that I am able to work 60% time (I may go up to 80% next school year....I'm mulling it over). Working part time means I get home at 12:45ish and I have the afternoon to---- well, it usually gets swallowed whole by dishes, redirecting Sadie, making food, eating it, doing school work, emailing, etc... I never feel like I get anything done. But today- I was successful. It's only 3:30pm and dinner is ready (Chili) and simmering on the stove for later tonight. Yeah for me!

The recipe I used comes from allrecipes.com. I use it as a reference because it includes the kitchen sink, so I won't forget to add anything that I think belongs in good Chili. But I can't believe that it calls for 3 pounds of meat AND Bacon Bits- pretty ridiculous!!

All that meat got me to thinking....in college I was an RA. I went to a small liberal arts college, Biola, so our dorms are really the center of the campus' social life. I really wanted to name my all-girls floor "The Carnivores" (!!)- that's a lot more ridiculous than 3lbs. of meat in a chili recipe. I suppose I wanted to defy the girly stereotypes. I know that I was uber enthusiastic about the idea (surprise, surprise!), but it quickly got vetoed, because all of my floormates thought I was crazy. And I was. Adulthood has settled me down a whole heck of a lot.

My friend's parents still call me Crazy Becky, because they remember what I used to be like. All through high school and college I just did- and didn't think about it for very long. Life was grand, life was about me, and life was fun, fun, fun: I think that's why I was so impassioned and inhibited. As an adult I feel like I've worn the craziness out, and it's been replaced by a very measured and intentional attitude about life. Overall all I think it's a better way to be. I know that I am now a lot more about others, and less about my needs (I think I honestly used to think of myself as the center of it all- so selfish!). But...sometimes I miss the crazy.

So, as I go about my afternoon as the good housewife....do you have any answers? How do you get the crazy back and still be a responsible and caring adult? 
XOXO, Rebecca

7 comments:

  1. Burning Man? Works for a lot of other parents I know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca! Don't worry, if you follow her lead, little Sadie will be leading you back into crazy - in a good way. I am having so much fun with my 13 and 10 year old and their crazy ways. On a different topic, being involved in political work has helped me looking at the "big picture" and keeping my parenting and homemaking stuff in perspective and always connected to a larger world. Thanks for the thoughtful posts.
    See around campus! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Justin Timberlake had a song about getting the Sexy back. Is this the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the ideas friends!

    And Seth, you're funny. I think I've been missing that too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dancing and singing with my 2-yr-old definitely puts some crazy in my life. She doesn't care what I look like or how I sound...she just loves it and loves me anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebecca, what you've said so well sums up thoughts I've had about myself - and I'm not sure what the answer is, but thank you for expressing it all so well! I'll keep you posted if I figure anything out. xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful blog you've got there..

    ReplyDelete