Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Craft Success!!

So my friend Mary was so wonderfully kind to show me the basics of sewing a couple weeks back!

First off, she has an awesome sewing room with bookcases, drawers, cups, and more drawers filled with sewing goodness- pom poms, ribbons, fabric, buttons, etc.. She gets much of her fabric vintage from local thrift stores...so she has some pretty interesting fabrics. It may be inappropriate to have a dedicated crafting room if you just crafted every so often, but Mary crochets, sews, or creates almost nightly after she puts her boys to bed. I love that! She's inspired me to let my creative juices flow more often- it's good for the soul!

After she helped me pick out some coordinating fabric from her room of fabric galore- we went to it. In the course of (just) 2 hours, here are some of the things I learned about sewing(you can tell I didn't have much knowledge to start with):
  • how to thread a needle in a machine
  • how to accurately measure and cut your fabric
  • about the right tools to use
  • how to guide the fabric as you're sewing
  • how to start and stop properly (reverse sew, lift the needle, etc)
  • how and when to pin (I never knew why those pins belonged in sewing kits!! ha!)
  • how to improvise! We made the case too small- whoops! So, Mary had an idea to add ribbon to the side to give us some room. It worked!
AND in addition to learning all of that (and much more), I walked away with a finished Kindle cover. I can't wait to try my next project, any ideas? It will need to be fairly simple.

WOW! This took only 2 hours to make! Sewing is magic! 


XOXO, Rebecca

10 comments:

  1. Stacey Stanek OrvilleFebruary 9, 2011 at 7:10 PM

    Gorgeous!!! I want one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so professional. Maybe you could make more and sell them on Etsy.com. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. let me know when you'll be on project runway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca, I'm so impressed by your sewing efforts! Crafts are wonderful - I love them too.

    Any chance you'd do a blog on Kindle vs 'real' books? I'd love to know your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute kindle case, I can't believe you just learned how to sew.. the case looks so professional! I could use a sewing lesson or five myself!

    -Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  6. so i think it looks great too, but know I got help from someone who really knows how to sew well...it def wouldn't have turned out like this if I was on my own. :) thanks for the love!

    and nissa- great idea for a post, I'll do it soon...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! Definitely agree that crafting is good for the soul! If you are ever wanting some inspiration, just go to www.oneprettything.com and you will be overwhelmed with craft tutorials to help you make all kinds of things!

    I would also love to hear your thoughts on kindle vs. real books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to give you another link I thought of:
    http://www.sewmamasew.com/tutorials.php
    There are plenty of basic sewing technique tutorials as well as lots of fun project tutorials! Love this blog!

    ReplyDelete