Friday, February 4, 2011

Hold the Butter

Preface: Mom, I love you. And you raised me so wonderfully- really and truly.

Part 1:
I want to be healthy, BUT. In addition to loving fruits and vegetables: I like my meat and potatoes. I like sugar and cream in my coffee. I really like cheese. I like treats (a lot and especially chocolate treats). I like seconds and secret eating (TM Peter Lendway). I like sweet cereals (perish the thought!!). And, even though I try to exercise, I'm not a fan of sweat (and really, do I have time to go to the gym?).

Part 2:
I envy my husband at times. He eats like I do...but he has this amazing metabolism, so you would never know that he's more of a sweet fiend than I am. I know that he was programmed differently as a child. If he and a friend wanted sodas after school, his mom would make them run a lap around the block. This is why he doesn't mind exercise, being fit was expected in his family (and still is to this day). Whereas my parents didn't exercise. My brother played sports. I roller skated and rode bikes from time to time. But we didn't exercise. Oh, and on top it, us Ruffs like to eat and find joy in creating food deliciousness!

Part 3:
I really want Sadie to want to eat and live healthfully. But I get so worried she's going to turn out like me- not so into the gym or into wheat over white (even though I know I should be). We're trying to limit her sugar intake, staying away from processed foods, and feeding her a ton of fruits and veggies. But I feel like all of my good intentions are going to go to the wayside, because she is going to know my heart of hearts. Do as I say, not as I do, isn't a very good parenting strategy. And it's started already- she's rejecting green veggies for cheese and meat, she's been drinking juice and having cookies at day care (aghh!!), and she wants everything I'm eating.  

The End:
So, how do I go forward? I know I should change my habits...but it's hard when they've been in the making for 32 years. How do you get your kid to like being a healthy person and enjoy eating well? What do you do as a parent to form healthy habits? What did your parents do for you? I feelo a bit lost, and like her food intake is spiralling downward, which is definitely making me go into a tizzy.

XOXO, Rebecca

5 comments:

  1. There was a man in new york who lived to an extremely old age. Something like 108. When asked what his diet was, he said the following:

    Bread grilled in fatback
    3 bottles of thunderbird wine a week.

    When asked why he didn't use bacon, he said, "It's too lean"

    Your health is a genetic throw of the dice. Healthy eating can help, or it can throw a delicately balanced system out of whack.

    Case in point. The man who I'm referring to died because his doctor made him change his diet. (Well, they said it was heart failure, but he dies one day after changing his eating habits? Suspicious)

    Integrate the good food in with the bad. Don't take away the cheese and meat, but make sure that veggies, fruit, and whole grains are mixed in.

    A short word about exercise. 20 minutes a day is fine, so long as it's something that gets the heartrate up the whole time. (I box.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so much alike.

    All good questions and I'd love to hear what other people think, too.

    We eat dessert after bedtime so she doesn't even know about the concept of "dessert" yet. We slowly switched to whole wheat pasta (half and half at first), found yummy soft "Dutch Country" wheat bread that has the texture of white, and I *try* to get to the gym twice a week. No matter how bad the separation anxiety/screaming got when I'd leave her at the gym, I knew I was showing her that exercise is important to me.

    You've already got so much going for you--first of all, you're trying, which is more than most parents can say. You're not into watching TV all the time, which will definitely lead Sadie to find active ways to entertain herself as she gets older. And you love to take walks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for thinking of the challenges that may lie ahead. I think you have good balance.
    I also think that "run a lap around the block" requirement was eased up for your husband. I heard his older brother had to do 4 laps for a soda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great blog. Micah is picky...just like I was picky and it makes me sad. He wants everything "plain."

    Strange how they turn out like us.

    For me, I gotta hit the gym too. For now, we walk everywhere. No stroller for Micah--he walks so he gets tired and used to exercise and being active.

    Hard though.

    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are blameless in Sadie's desire for non-veggies. I suspect that's a part of most kids' development - and might have traditionally protected them from something they shouldn't be eating (poisonous plants, maybe?)We ate salad for dinner for a week, and the only thing Lars would take from it were the strawberries! But he was begging for any bread-related product he sighted! So much for hoping he'd want to copy us!

    ReplyDelete