Monday, January 31, 2011

Crafting: Learning to Sew

So, I've wanted to learn to sew forever and a day. I love being creative...but I've never been in an art/craft class, sewing included (wow! that's kind of shocking, right? since I come from a family of artists and my mom sews). Most of my creative projects come from my limited knowledge of craftiness- I know how to Mod Podge amazingly well, and that's about it. IMHO-You really need to know how to sew well to make practical and cool things by hand. Here's my lesson learned- creativity can only get you so far.

Oh, I've tried to learn on my own. There was the (poorly sewn) pillow project. A couple of (poorly) hemmed dresses. My mom even gave me a new sewing machine (that I wanted so badly) a few years back, and I spent 2+ hours trying to figure out how to thread and sew with this said sewing machine, to no avail (pretty pathetic considering I had the directions too). Then this year there was the Christmas stockings: I can cut out designs, use the iron to attach the felt, but once I needed to sew to finish the project- I choked.

All that to say-- I think it's finally happening! A friend of mine from church has offered to teach me to sew. And it's not just an offer any more- we have set a date (this Thursday) to get started with the lessons. I am completely ecstatic to learn from this master sewer! Who-hoo! She's going to help me learn how to make a padded Kindle cover for my new Kindle. :) I'm super thrilled!!


Beware, you may soon be gifted with an amateurish hand-sewn thingamajig ;)


xoxo, Rebecca

7 comments:

  1. you will be a sewing whiz in no time! your friend plus, aren't you taking a class too? (maybe im remembering yr bday or christmas presents wrong) so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps you should wear that woman's outfit when you are sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. poorly sewn pillow project? I love my turtle pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Master sewer"?? Ha! My mother the make-beautiful-quilts-completely-by-hand woman and my sister the former pattern maker for Levi's now fit expert would be rolling on the floor in laughter if they heard me described that way! ;) But I'm sure you'll make a beautiful kindle cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Mary! You are "sew" amazing! I saw all the projects you have completed, you are def a master- I look forward to learning from you
    @sooz- my friend Mary heard I was going to sign up for a class, and she offered to teach me, so fun, right? and ps I think I will learn to sew in heels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited for you to learn to sew! It is addicting, though. Learning how to thread my machine was the hardest part for me (once you do it 100x, you can do it with your eyes closed) but I'm still learning new things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. for when sadie is older

    http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/sewing-school-21-sewing-projects-kids-will-love-to-make-138313

    ReplyDelete