Monday, May 31, 2010

Urban Gardening

I'm so excited about making use of this dead driveway space. Our car will fit up the driveway, but it's a tight squeeze- so we've never done it. But this driveway gets AMAZING sun! I've been toying with the idea of making it usable gardening space for a couple of years, but I recently decided to go for it! Our front yard gets 3-4 hours of direct sun daily, and our backyard is shaded by a massive cedar tree. But this driveway gets sun all day long! 

I got rid of the first 6-in of top soil (in case of contaminants), and added in some gardening soil. Side Note: You're not allowed to fill you green waste can with soil, oops! The plants have been there a couple of weeks, and they are thriving! I planted 3 more tomato plants in the middle strip (2 were already in the wine barrels), a cucumber, crooked neck squash, zucchini, and basil. I'll let you know how things progress. I can't wait to harvest my first tomatoes!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Can't wait to see more--what a fun summer project!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto when renetta said! i can't wait til it's all crazy and bursting with food to harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! That is so creative of you. Can't wait to see the results.
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete