Saturday, February 27, 2010

Bottle Bootcamp!

Little miss has been rejecting the bottle for the past couple of months. I am breastfeeding Sadie... but when I want to go on a date with my hubby, have some time on my own, or go back to work I need my bambino to take pumped milk from the bottle.

I first gave her a bottle at 3 weeks, and she took it so well this first time. But since then...it's been a battle (fought with snuggles, gentle urging, and every product available on the market, of course). She chokes on most bottles' nipples. We tried Advent, Green to Grow, Evenflow, Playtex Drop-ins...nothing worked. Her resistance has been quite a challenge. Mark has given it to her when I've been gone, and she's cried and cried, unwilling to take milk from a bottle. Let me remind you, this is the same milk she gets from me. She usually has waited until I returned, and then has breastfed ferociously. In Tahoe we tried putting sugar water on the nipple...and this worked for 1 feeding (after hours of crying)-- when it was new and interesting. Then she went back to rejecting all bottles, even yummy bottles coated in sugar water. Lately, I have tried to give the bottle to her after feedings, when she's not even hungry, so she can get used to the silicone nipple. All these attempts have been futile.

So today was the day--Bottle Bootcamp. I left the house from 9:30am-5:30pm, the longest I've been away from Sadie (I missed her so!). The goal was for Mark to get her to take the bottle contentedly. I bought a new bottle for the occasion, The First Years' Breast Flow bottle. It's made for breastfed babies to go back and forth between mom and bottle without confusion. I spotted it at Target this week, so I thought I'd give it a try. It worked!!! Yeah!!! Sadie fussed a little today, but didn't cry and cry, and she took 7-8 ounces from this bottle (before she took only a half of an ounce to 2 ounces after a lot of tears). I'm so glad we found something that works for our little sadie. She had a great day with dad too! Lots of bonding time!!
Thank You Breastflow!!! Kisses after a long day!

And smiles after a long day, too! That's impressive.


Thanks dad for being patient with me! Love, Sadie



.

4 comments:

  1. i'm glad it worked out! she *does* look so happy in that last picture! maybe you should go on more mommy personal days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a relief! Sadie and Jules are looking more and more alike, I think. In some of the photos on this post, it could be Jules!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just re-read my comment and I meant to say, what a relief about Sadie taking the bottle.

    Jules and Sadie looking alike is a happy coincidence, not necessarily a relief :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Nissa, I really think they look a lot alike! She definitely has anderson in her!

    ReplyDelete